Thursday, July 14, 2011

Well, Fancy That! # 1

Like 'The Things That Happen,' 'Well, Fancy That!' is a new, occasional series for Morrison's Nifty Drivelarium & Gubbins Repository. It will concentrate simply on things that amaze me, things that make me say, "Bloody hell!" It could be anything whatsoever that makes me do so, so expect the unexpected.

The first Well, Fancy That! is drawn straight from recent personal experience. As I may have mentioned I work part-time in a Nanaimo record store called Fascinating Rhythm. Lately I've taken on the garagantuan task of updating all of the LP divider cards for the entire store. They were in quite a mess; lots were broken; others were so faded that the artist or band's name was invisible; some has disappeared altogether. Anyway, when reaching the Easy Listening Male Vocal LPs - in itself a preposterous proposition - I was astounded to find that certain artists are more heavily stocked in our store than, surely, in any other record store on earth. Witness:

ENGELBERT HUMPERDINCK - 17 titles
ROGER WHITTAKER - 36 titles... Thirty-six!

And, at least in my opinion, best of all:

ROLF HARRIS - 9 titles

So, if you've been scouring the globe aiming to track down that elusive vinyl copy of Rolf's classic 'Tie Me Kangaroo Down, Sport' album, you now know where to come.

Well, Fancy That!  

No comments:

Post a Comment