Firstly, in abbreviated form from the BBC website:
A Florida man who died in October after eating dozens of live cockroaches in a contest to win a python died by choking, officials have said. The body of Edward Archbold, 32, tested negative for drugs and...officials ruled the death was an accident caused by "asphyxia." Archbold collapsed and died soon after the promotional contest at a pet store in Deerfield Beach, Florida. His airway became obstructed with "arthropod body parts", the Miami Herald quoted medical examiner Craig Mallak as saying.
Let's take a look at this, shall we? Firstly, what was a pet store - somewhere generally perceived to be concerned with the welfare of animals and living creatures - doing hosting an event involving the human consumption of living creatures? Whether viewed as nasty beasties or otherwise cockroaches are living creatures, so to this end can this incident not be deemed one where unecessary suffering and outright cruelty was inflicted upon them? I cannot personally view it any other way.
Secondly, wouldn't it be somewhat obvious that eating "dozens of live cockroaches," as the article states, is, well, you know, rather dangerous? And yet it was not considered obvious that this might just be the cause of death? And his body was tested for drugs as a possible cause...? Only in America! Man, I just despair, and that's about all I have to say on the matter. Except this: "Farewell Edward Archbold, 32, and thank you for your contribution to humankind. You will not be missed."
And then there's this: